Impress your guests with Chef Rocco’s top secret Sugo Sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes. Grown in volcanic soil at the foot of Mount Vesuvius, the nutrient-dense earth is believed to act as a filter for water impurities, giving the tomatoes a rich, complex flavour.
Canned in a small town near Naples, you’ll want to give this sauce a go at home — especially if you love our meatballs and arancini. Try it on your favourite pasta today!
- 40 ml olive oil
- 85 grams of Spanish onion, diced
- 5 grams of garlic, minced
- 10 grams of salt
- 50 ounces of whole peeled canned San Marzano Tomatoes, hand crushed
- 10 basil leaves, chopped
- In a pot large enough to hold all ingredients, add the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion to the pot and sauté until caramelized (golden in colour).
- Add the minced garlic and cook to release the fragrance and soften (about 1 min — do not colour).
- Add the salt to the pot, followed by the canned tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium low heat and allow it to reduce by ¼ of the amount.
- Remove from the heat use a hand blender to purée the sugo slightly, bringing it together.
- Stir in the chopped basil and allow to cool.